Friday, October 30, 2009

Orphanage in Santa Cruz

Chris and I had such an awesome opportunity to go to the orphanage here in Santa Cruz. We have been so excited and anxious to go since we got here and we finally got to! We had so much fun and the kids were adorable! We loved it and hope we get to go back. The orphange had about 14 kids ranging in age from 3 to 13, so smaller than what I was expecting. As soon as we got there, they all piled outside and with the biggest grins shook each of our hands one by one. We went with a family in our branch and also the missionaries. Crissy and I cut and styled hair. The look on the girl's faces when I pulled out my paul mitchell hair straightner and product was priceless. I doubt many of them had ever had their hair straight before but they definately knew what it was capable of when I motioned it next to my hair. They went crazy and an immediate line formed to transform their intense thick and curly hair into something shiny and straight. I had so much fun, and they loved every second of being pampered. I wish I could go do their hair everyday to see their faces and how happy they skipped around afterwards. I loved it! Chris and the 7 other boys from our branch got to spend time getting to know the kids and playing for a little bit. Chris impressed me afterwards remembering all of their names, and I only remembered a couple! They loved him and he communicates so well the kids here it's really neat. I loved the time we had there and am really grateful we had the opportunity to help out the children even if it was in just a small simple way. They were beautiful and happy and really left an impact on me. Before we left we sang them, "I am a Child of God" and they all went silent and still. The spirit was strong and we can only hope they will always be watched over and taken care of. Thanks Santa Cruz for such an amazing time!
....I'm sorry for no pictures they wouldn't let us take pictures inside :/

8 comments:

  1. chris and nicole this is mom we are at uncle abes and aunt merivales awesome house. I love the post about the orphanage. What a great experience. It truly touches my heart. How is Nicole? what did they say? We miss you. I Love you both and hope you feel better. The weather is beautiful today. You are both soooo cute!!!! Have a great halloween...Momma PS I'm the rich one in the family if you need to come home early. Not a problem. Tons of love!!!!!! The in and out burger lady... tee hee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey guys look at the loft bed with the stairs and the closet under it!!!! Go to Ikea.com and open the 2010 catalog and it is on page 8-9 (the red room) That would be awesome!!!-Merivale

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I am so glad that you got to experience that time at the orphanage. Stophie has always had a gift with kids, they just think he's super cool. I remember the first time my curly mop met the straight iron, I think I skipped around with a big smile on my face too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Nicole! What a great experience for you! I love checking your blog and seeing you all married! Still seems like you are a 12 year old in my mind! Take care! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow. how wonderful that you got to experience those precious moments with the little ones! I love that you did their hair! :)
    we miss you guys and are counting down the days until we can play in san clemente together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is awesome!!! How neat! Nic- so cool that you got to use the hair skills for something like that:) and- what kids don't love Chris:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. What an amazing experience. I wish I could go there and do their hair someday! That would be awesome. You look happy! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. By the way, Chris's pictures are amazing!! I loved them!

    ReplyDelete